¡Bienvenidos!

Alabama Honduras Medical Educational Network
How can you help?

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day!

Great for Missions Study or Sunday School!
Today is earth day.  Today is a holiday I have been celebrating since I was a young child.  The concept seemed valid for as long as I can remember.  A group of high school students, maybe college age, came to King Springs Elementary to put on a show about protecting our environment. They sang a song called “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.” I can still sing it today both because it was catchy and rang true with what I learned in church also. On the first page of the Bible it says we must be good stewards of the earth.  Now I don't interpret the Bible literally, but this message has always seemed like one of the most important to me. If God created the world for us to live and love, what kind of sense does it make to do anything that might be destructive to the world? How can we say we truly love Jesus if we pollute and plunder the home God made for us? In my opinion, we can't do both. We can't do both in missions either. 

That is why I wrote and have published my 2012 graduate thesis entitled Applying Ecofeminist Theory to Christian Mission Work in Honduras: Building Theoretical Bridges for Real Change.

What is Ecofeminism? Ecofeminism links the protection of the earth with ending the blanket discrimination against women across the world. I link the two with Christian missions in Honduras, and I urge you to buy my book and see how!

Also, be sure to check out the Río de Agua Viva team's fundraiser page. The people living in La Moskitia, specifically in the areas around Raista, are not only thirsting for the clean water we will teach them how to obtain, they are thirsting for knowledge!

Join me. Join us. Join your fellow earth inhabitants and make a difference! We still need members for the R
ío team by the way … If you would like to join us in Honduras June 1-10, it is not to late to register. Contact me today.



Together, we are the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment