¡Bienvenidos!

Alabama Honduras Medical Educational Network
How can you help?

Monday, March 30, 2015

Río de Agua Viva: Our Team Members, Taylor Looney

One of the fun things that makes us different from other animals is our knack for taking personal histories and applying them to shape our future. Lieutenant Dan ended up in the military because every male member in his lineage had fought in died in a U.S. war. Sojourner Truth addressed her segregation within the Women's Rights Movement from her experience as a female slave by saying “Ain't I a Woman?” My friend DJ grew up to be a barber because a woman in Jasper, Al made an impression on him, and the Río de Agua Viva team's Taylor Lonney is headed to Honduras, in part, because caring for a family member started her on a journey. Here is Taylor's story:

I attend University of Alabama at Birmingham and am pursing a degree in Biomedical Sciences. I am also minoring in Public Health and Chemistry, which falls in line with my interest in medicine. I plan on applying to medical school within the near future.

This summer in Honduras, I will be doing water quality research and teaching community agents about bacteria and other important topics that relate to sustainability. My interest in helping others began with my uncle, Eddie, who passed away from Cancer when I was young. I provided him nail care, massages, and read him stories during the time of his suffering. Even though I was not old enough to fully understand the disease itself, I knew that my actions made him feel better. After obtaining hours of direct patient care experience as a Nursing Technician for the Baptist Health Systems, I know that I belong in the healthcare field and could not see myself anywhere else.

In my free time, I enjoy giving back to my community, reading, and being outdoors. I have a strong interest in contributing to the well being of others and look forward to seeing how my Honduras mission helps me do just that.

Who is the special person in your life that has led you to this story? Who is the special person from your past who might wish you to pursue a missions experience? Who do you know that would like to see you spend your time and money working alongside our team in the jungles of Honduras? Contact me for more info on our team and other outreach efforts with AHMEN. Whether a domestic or foreign volunteer, we need you!




Together, we are the difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment