¡Bienvenidos!

Alabama Honduras Medical Educational Network
How can you help?

Thursday, June 6, 2013

From Hunger to Hope in One Generation: Women Beading for God, Pt. 10


Nathan sure did write an impressive blog! I can't wait to grow and mature alongside him in Honduras. I really can't wait to work with our next blogger either! That's right...the rumors are true. JamesIverson returns to the Banana Republic this Saturday!!


My name is James Iverson – I’m departing on my second trip to Honduras this Saturday! Two years ago my close friend from Millsaps College, Michael Franklin, convinced me to accompany him and a team of volunteers on a trip to La Esparanza and Utila. I really enjoyed being temporarily immersed in these distinct cultures – so much so that I’m considering visiting the islands of Utila and Roatan again! I’ve shared these plans with Michael and he suggested that first I accompany him on this second trip to the Garifuna Coast/Cusuna and La Ceiba – after all how can I pick a favorite region of the country when I haven’t seen them all yet?

I hear there's going to be a weenie roast??


The success Michael has had in ‘recruiting’ me is definitely inspiring. With the promise of adventure and self-growth he convinced me to go on the first trip – and now I’m returning for a second visit with plans for a third trip already fomenting!  His toughest job was pulling me over the ‘hump’ of deciding that this was what I wanted to spend my time off doing and where I wanted to do it. However once I got to Honduras the country took over and sold itself. I was in awe of the natural beauty that surrounded me and loved getting to know some of the great people: Dr. Delmer, all the AHMEN and SIFAT organizers, the girls at Shalom, Ernesto and all of the employees that worked at the hydro electric dam – I could go on and on. I’m excited about getting to meet Nathan and witness him experiencing many of these things for his first time. The first trip was one of the most fulfilling experiences I’ve had in my life and I look forward to expanding that wonderful experience next week.

James and Dr. Delmer

My goal this go around is going to be to document our travel more thoroughly with pictures and a journal. I came back from my first trip with countless stories however I can already feel those memories beginning to atrophy. Of the 24 pictures I took on my disposable camera only a few turned out well and my journal keeping dwindled after the first few days of the trip. Thanks to Lauren Watkins’ astute picture taking I have been able to piece together most of the trip but I won’t be able to count on her this go around!
I want to improve my record taking not just for my own sake but also to have some more recruitment tools when I’m talking with my buddies. Without Michael’s tugging at my arm I never would’ve had my eyes opened to this experience – now that they have been I feel moved to get more of my friends to take the same leap! One of Michael and my close friends from Millsaps, David Hutzel, will be joining the ‘second’ team so our paths will cross in La Ceiba. Next year I hope there will a fourth or maybe even fifth Millsaps alum joining our teams! 

Together, we are the difference.

1 comment:

  1. We are building a large collection Judi Bola of sex-related texts, easy to navigate, categorized, without advertising. Anyone can have us publish their texts, for free.

    ReplyDelete