¡Bienvenidos!

Alabama Honduras Medical Educational Network
How can you help?

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Familia Hondureña

Whenever I think about Honduras I remember all the beautiful scenery and unforgiving weather.  I remember all the delicious food and reality of nutritional insecurity all over the country.  Most of all, I remember the familiar faces.  

Honduras has become so much a part of our lives that many of us always boast about Honduras being our home and having family there. In my case, and in the case of many other AHMENers, however, we actually have grandchildren, children, and siblings in Honduras.  My sister's name is Ana.

 
At first, second, and third glance you might notice that it is difficult to see why I would consider Ana my sister.  Ana and I have known each other for several years but really don't know much about each other.  She is just a few years younger than me, but we don't speak the same language or look alike.  We come from completely different walks of life.  We have chosen very different occupations.  You know what, though?  The same two folks have made sure we were fed, clothed, and supported 100% in our educational careers.  We are loved as children, kept safe, and sustained by the same couple.  That is what makes Ana and I brother and sister,  hermanito y hermanita.   That is what makes us family.

I was blessed on this team to be able to spend a little time with Ana this week while AHMEN'sRío de Agua Viva team was working with the jewelry ladies of Los LaurelesThe last several times I have been in Honduras Ana has been busy with nursing school and internships.  We just happened to luck out this time!  We worked on interviews together and helped facilitate the afternoon "Cultivando Información" fieldtrip.  She even made a special two-layer strawberry and coconut cake with caramel icing for the team....sooo good! 
 

In the coming years I hope to work on building stronger ties to my Hermana Catracha and all of the rest of the young women of Shalom.  (I hope to bond more with my Gringa sisters too!)  I hope to create a better dialogue with Shalom on Facebook.  I hope to work on my Spanish and help them with their English.  I hope to do a better job of practicing what I preach.  Shalom is too important to the empowerment process not to get busy, and I ask you all to join me!

Contact Dr. Tom Camp or me to learn how to set up a team to work with or take on a regular monetary pledge to the Shalom girls dorm of La Ceiba, Honduras.

Together, we are the difference.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of God at work in you I hope to join you next year I can hardly wait .I can the joy in your face as you share with your Gringa sisters . God Bless you

    ReplyDelete