¡Bienvenidos!

Alabama Honduras Medical Educational Network
How can you help?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Water Water Everywhere, But Not A Drop To Drink!

I sat in the shower for an extra 5 minutes this morning just trying to wake up enough to soap up my greasy hair.  I take advantage of having cheap, clean water pumped to my house.  I could drink it straight out of the faucet and never get sick.  In fact, I would get healthier.  Not only does the water I use to wash the dirt off my body not have bacteria in it, its fluoridation strengthens my teeth. 



And do I conserve every last drop for my drinking and food preparation??  Nope!  I like to think of myself as conserving more water than the next American with a Sasquatch-size carbon footprint, but I do not even begin to treat my overly clean water supply with the care and respect I should.



This message hit home with Lane Turbeville when I told her that around the world a child dies of waterborne illness every 20 seconds.  After getting horribly sick in Honduras last August from the usual bugs our Gringo stomachs can't handle, she asked me whether Hondurans get sick like she did all the time.  I told her that, if they make it through childhood, Honduran babies' stomachs grow a tolerance for the normalcy of dysentery.  Lane's response was as human as one could imagine.  "Kids shouldn't have to get used to drinking dirty water."



Six months later, Lane has developed a water purification component for AHMEN's "Rio de Agua Viva" team.  She will be conducting a research study through Samford University to both demonstrate the need for the implementation of a national infrastructure to overcome Honduran water crisis and also to prove mission teams can successfully intervene in the meantime.  

Visit Lane's YouCaring fundraising site to make her project a reality.  Contact me here to join the team and watch her make it happen!



Together, we are the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that’s very convenient! You’re lucky to have great source of water system that is safe to use as drinking water at the same time. On the other hand, a lot of people are not as fortunate as you when it comes to having access with safe water. Thus, it’s nice to know that you’re actively taking part on raising awareness about situations. Thanks for sharing this with us. All the best!


    Augustin Pavel @ AXEON Water Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  2. su arıtma Su arıtma cihazı ve filtreleri, farklı çeşitleri, uygun fiyatları ve tüm Türkiye'ye ücretsiz montaj avantajlarıyla Meridyen Su Arıtma Cihazları firmasında.

    ReplyDelete